[Harp-L] Gapping etc for overblows

In a message dated 8/4/04 1:21:37 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Chris wrote:

> For burnishing I usually use a tool I made from an old reedplate.  I
> couldn't find it tonight so I just used a penny.  One or two swipes
> with the penny along the slot worked for me.

  I have never read instructions that explain the burnishing process clearly
enuf for me to understand.  Is this burnishing done from the underside of the
reedplate so ya don't touch the reed?  This would require the harp to be
disassembled, which in the case of any harp with nails, would be problematic (for
me anyway).
  Or is it done on top of the reed (which i would think might damage the
reed)?
ron