[Harp-L] Day 2 in Hong Kong

Hello all.

I arrived here Monday evening, and today is officially the 2nd day of the
festival. So much to write about and so little time to do it in! Internet
access isn't as readily available for the traveller here as it is in Australia
or the U.S.

I am left with the distinct impression that the harmonica, especially the
chromatic, is taken far more seriously in this part of the world than in
the west. The work that the players of all models of harmonica have put in
for the competitions has been enormous and humbling. It was really something
this morning to see dozens of groups of school children practicing for their
solo, duo, trio, and ensemble competitions, all 'dressed to the nine's',
watching their teachers conducting them as they read from sheet music and
stopping to polish up a tricky run here and there. Judging by the level of
skill demonstrated, maybe the approach of 'just play the thing' may not be
the road to hamonica enlightenment after all!

The opening ceremony was held last night with many local government dignitaries
present for an event they obviously take very seriously. Then there were
some performances given not only by representatives from each country, but
also by the guest artists (Claude Garden, Franz, Chmel, Sigmund Groven, Jens
Bunge) to give us a taste of what we are in for during the remainder of the
festival. It was great to see one of the most brilliant players who has ever
lived, Claude Garden, just hanging out in the foyer and jamming or playing
duets with any enthusiast who wants a chance to play with him.
\
I've just tried the Suzuki 16-hole tremolo chromatic. No thicker than a regular
chromatic but sort of shaped like a piano in that it is much 'larger at the
bass end. It plays like a dream; the tremolo chromatic now really is a reality!

I'm sure glad I came.

Cheers to all,

Paul