[Harp-L] Really OT: US-122 USB Audio/MIDI Interface

Sorry to waste bandwidth but seems like there are a fair few people out
there who use their computers to record demos (or better) so thought there
might be someone out there who could help.

I've recently bought the Tascam US-122 interface, mainly as I was getting
frustrated with the poor noise-to-signal of my standard laptop soundcard.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/240868/
<http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=rec/search/detail/base_pid/240868/>

I'm only using it for audio, have set up the interface, changed my demo
version of Cakewalk so that it uses the new device for recording...and I get
this horrible, low-volume, static-y interference whenever there's recorded
signal coming through the mic (a plain old SM58 btw).

Any ideas?  I'm using a fairly new laptop, 512GHz, 3.06MB, XP blah blah
It's really a *lot* worse sound quality than through the standard soundcard
- I see reference to noise from the USB power supply but here I only seem to
be getting interference once I start singing into the mic.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions, please email off-list

Harp content: I will be using the interface for harp once I get the sucker
to work...

Thanks in advance, and sorry again
James

Visit our website at http://www.halcrow.com

The contents of this email do not give rise
to any binding legal obligation upon
Halcrow Group Limited unless subsequently
confirmed on headed business notepaper sent
by fax, letter or as an e-mail attachment.
If you receive this email in error, please
contact the sender and delete the message.
Thank you.