RE: [Harp-L] custom harps

Richard Smith wrote:
> One thing I don't understand is the open 'vents' in the sides of
> the covers on Marine Band harps. There's so much talk about
> the 'airtightness' of harps, and using Micropore to seal them, but
> it seems like the cover vents would pretty much defeat the purpose,
> wouldn't they?  I know the Micropore goes between the plate and the
> comb; I've tried it on a couple of my own Special 20's.  Or since
> the vents are on the other side of the reeds from one's mouth, does
> it only affect the 'sound', or projection, of the harp?

The tightness of the seal has to do with channeling the air from your
mouth to the harp (or vice versa) with as little leakage around the
reeds or reedplates as possible.  The configuration of the covers
won't have any effect on how tight the harp feels or plays (unless
you're channelling the blow/draw air back through the harp, which is
kind of a parlor trick), but will affect the tone and your ability to
manipulate the tone with hand effects, as BBQBob points out in his
post(s).

-tim

Tim Moyer
Working Man's Harps