[Harp-L] Re: Computer mics, nidis, rhytmn tracks

Richard Smith wrote:
"I have a Boss BR-8 digital 8-track recording deck that I use for my
recording projects.  Once a song, or album, is completed, it can
then be 'ripped' onto my computer, and then burned onto CD's.  Are
there any advantages to recording directly to the computer, using
something like Cakewalk software, over the way I've been doing it?
Recording directly to the computer, would I have the great quality
and fidelity that I have with the digital recording deck?"

Answers as follows:

1) Advantages to recording on a computer-based system include:
- # of audio tracks is limited only by processor speed and RAM, both of
which can be cheaply upgraded
- MIDI tracks and pre-recorded loops of drums, bass, etc. can be
included in the composition too
- vastly improved editing facilities.  Cutting, copying, pasting,
fade-ins, automation of effects, etc. are all much easier when you have
a full computer screen to work with.

2) As I recall, the Boss BR-8 uses Smartmedia for the recording medium.
This medium is limited to 31.5 kHz recording, meaning the highest
frequency available is about 16 kHz.  This is not bad, but it's not the
best available.  With a good audio PCI card designed for recording --
some good brands now sell for about $100 -- your computer will easily
exceed this spec.  Even a $40 Soundblaster Live! card will give you a
wider frequency range and better signal to noise ratio.

On the down side, computers always need tech support for something or
other. I sure spend a lot of time making sure mine works well. If you go
with a computer setup, you're also well-advised to invest in an
inexpensive mic preamp, like an ART tube MP ($80-90 new), or a small
Behringer mixer ($50-90 new).

All that said, a computer-based recording setup is definitely the
biggest bang for the buck, at any price point.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
www.hunterharp.com