Re: OK! OK!  ENOUGH!

On Apr 30, 2004, at 11:56 AM, Dennis Cooper wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> One of the biggest challenges to the legitimacy of the harmonica as a
> musical instrument is that most everybody can afford to buy one and
> not learn how to play it before they "perform".

   Aaaaarggggggh, you caught me.

> Let's face it, Any fool with six dollars in their pocket for a cheap
> harp and a belly full of booze can be a "star".

  Jeez, I'm glad you didn't say "cheap booze" too. I drink nothing but
the best $6.70 (a BOTTLE) rum.

>  Those who've played the club circuit have seen these pathetic
> creatures in action. Gussing in the wrong key on every song...Loud and
> long...It's SO wrong. They sit there wondering (usually out loud) why
> the band doesn't call them up onto the stage so they can be
> discovered.

  Yeah, we had one of those Wednesday night. The guy persisted in
hanging around my left ear while screaming chord changes at the guitar
player and constantly yelling "Someone toss me a guitar". I finally had
to ask him when was the last time a guy hit him in the face really
really hard while holding a roll of quarters. A little while later he
was seen falling off the dock and into the harbor.

> It's all about musicianship. Doesn't matter what instrument. What
> matters most is EARS!
>
> I met a former World Champion (who out of kindness, I'll not name
> publicly) last year at the National Oldtime Fiddler's Contest. He's a
> MONSTER player. Such technique I've never heard in my life.
> Mind-boggling solo player. A virtuoso!
>
> He can't get a steady job with a working band and regularly gets asked
> to step down from the stage at public jam sessions.
>
> I must stress that this gentleman is not a druggie or a drunk. He's a
> nice guy.

  At this point I have to thank you for NOT mentioning my name. It is
very kind of you to not bring unnecessary contempt upon me. I will
forever be in your debt.................anonymous!

>  What he lacks is the ability to listen to what's happening around him
> and make a musical contribution to the effort. He is so busy trying to
> prove that the harmonica is a legitimate instrument that he overplays
> continuously and stomps on every other band member's moment to shine.

  The devil makes me do it. I once stole an ancient oil lamp from the
museum and ever since then I have had the "Midas Touch in Reverse".
Everything I touch turns to S**t.

> This guy, IMHO does lots more damage to our "image" than the alleged
> mediocre professional entertainers we've been slamming.
>
> I am of the opinion the the difference between amateur and
> professional status as a musician has nothing to do with proficiency.
> It's whether you do it for a living or not. The official definition
> I've seen at competitions is that a person who derives more than 50%
> of their income from music performances and record sales is a
> professional.

  Not only do I NOT derive a percentage of my income from playing, It
actually COSTS me money. Once I was pretty well off, but I have been
playing so long that the money is gradually running out. Ahh...that's
Jazz for ya.