Re: what is a polyphonic harp?

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Nicolas Fouquet
To: Captron100@xxxxxxx ; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 2:27 PM
Subject: Re: what is a polyphonic harp?

> Well, I do not really understand! Polyphonic means that you can play more
than one note at time. The
> harmonica can, for sure! So I do not understand what Charlie does mean
either
> Anyone has a clue??
> Froggy

This may be a reference to a "Polyphonia" harp.  One version was a
blow-only, approx 24-hole harp on which the holes were arranged in order of
the chromatic scale. It was hard to play for some tunes but dynamite on
"Flight of the Bumblebee."  Long, smooth & rapid glissandos can be played by
just sliding the lips up and down the harp while blowing. I have heard one
used just for the descending glissandos in the "Tiger Rag."

A deceased harper named Garofalo (I think) played chromatic music on one
while acompanying himself on guitar. I think that these harps are now out of
production at Hohner.  Bill Price had one at a recent SPAH.

It seems to me that Yerxa has posted more explicit info on these harps.

Vern

Visit my harmonica website: www.hands-free-chromatic.7p.com