Re: Harmonica that ruins a song

In a way, this whole discussion circles back to the recent debate about Jerry
Portnoy's role in Clapton's tribute to Robert Johnson.  Many people were
angry  that Portnoy had been under-used, shoved way into the background to just
lay down sustain chords and do the occasional fill.  I got curious and bought
the CD--which I think is beautiful FOR WHAT IT IS--and while I love the many
things Portnoy can do, I recognized that Clapton had a vision for this piece of
work, a musical design, that involved using the harp as a kind of Hammond B-3.
A simple bed of chords, for the most part, over which the lyrics and melodies
of the songs were laid.  The reason I dig the album is that it startled me
back into really hearing the power and mystery of those lyrics, and the haunting
quality of the tunes, when I'd heard the originals 1000 times.  Mindblowing
harp riffs would have been, in my opinion, WAY out of place for that purpose.

Similarly, Dylan--who used to cite Little Walter as one of his three main
influences as a musician--has a vision that, like it or hate it, demands all that
1st-position blowing (though I've heard tapes of him doing Hoochie Koochie
Man and Look Over Yonder's Wall where he plays a pretty good cross-harp, too.)
There used to be an Arhoolie LP where he backed up Victoria Spivey on blues,
as well.  I'm sure he's still got those B-minus level chops on harp, if he
wanted to use them--but he doesn't want to.  My point is: Vision first, Chops
second.  Every town in America has its own Stevie Ray Vaughn: who cares?  I think
true virtuosity sometimes conceals itself.  And since harp players are
creative musicians first, and not "ambassadors for the harp," we're probably better
off sharpening our personal visions and making our talents as players serve the
vision instead of the other way around.

Peace and respect
Johnny T

P.S.  I proudly take credit for removing the period that used to be at the
end of this topic heading, and I salute whoever changed "ruines" to "ruins."