Re: The fine art of vamping

Joe says:
> >  So, what IS vamping? Is it anything like chugging? I'm not too sure I
> > understand what vamping IS.

Well, here goes:

One musical dictionary describes it as "improvising an accompaniment".

The way I meant "vamping" is that particular style of playing a song (solo,
on harmonica) that requires no ~additional~ accompaniment; that is, you play
the melody, possibly a syncopated harmony, and/or a chord accompaniment
simultaneously, with a strong rhythmic feel. This sometimes includes chord
chugging WITH the melody, and (AFAIK) usually requires some pretty advanced
tonguing techniques, like slaps, pulls, switches, flutters, splits, etc.

I've heard vamping on "both" kinds of harmonica (chrom & 'tonic), and I've
heard it used in various musical genres, but most of the vamping I've heard
was not contemporary - it was mostly older recordings. The technique doesn't
seem very popular of late - it seems to have evolved from the necessity of
communicating a fairly complex musical idea without any "help" from other
instruments.

I ~believe~ vamping works better with ballads, or songs that have a good
melody line, rather than a basic 12-bar, or a song more lyrically oriented,
but I'm certainly no authority - in fact, I'd like to get schooled on
vamping myself!
- -Scorcher

Disclaimer: The author does not claim to be an authority on any aspect of
the musical ideas expressed above. Any portion of the above (up to and
including the entire message) may or may not be utterly false. Please
consult your musicologist before applying any of the above information to
your own situation. Author accepts no responsibility in the event of musical
disaster, embarrassment, or inappropriate laughter from the audience.