re: the fine art of vamping

Scorch asks

> > So who are the skillful vampers today?

Iceman replies:

> Keith Dunn, who has a "vamper'" CD called "Alone
With the Blues" - all Keith,
> his voice, foot tapping and harmonica.

oh, absolutely! and let me add Ian Collard, who's solo
tune "do  my thang" is a vamped knockout.

check out Peter "Madcat" Ruth, who knows how to keep
time, and listen very very carefully to some guys you
may have overlooked, like Big Walter. he often kept
time with subtle vamps under his breath, as did Junior
Wells.

one thing you'll have to deal with Scorcher is that
the diatonic is limited chordally, so your ability to
accompany yourself is also limited. this isn't to
discourage you, but just something to think about when
you contemplate adding vamping to your playing.
learn to play not only tongue slaps but also pulls (BW
does this on his solo version of "Sugar Mama," and
learn to play a steady note while rhythmically
slapping out a chord under it (this is a very subtle
move.) also, learn to TB from both sides of your
mouth. being able to slap the notes above a note gives
you an entirely different approach ;)
just some thoughts...

good luck my friend!