Re: Altered Tunings

On Apr 27, 2004, at 1:17 PM, Laughton, Bob wrote:

> Chris Not introducing a lot of variables frees the mind to concentrate
> on the art at hand.
>
> Bob Laughton

  Using altered tunings is fine IF you have the brain for it. I tried,
but I must be autistic (as opposed to ARTistic). This Wed makes 2 weeks
since I had the great pleasure  (let's toss in honor and fortune too)
to have had one Ed Coogan sit in with the band. He is just a monster on
the "standard tuned" chromatic. I wasn't surprised (I have heard his
work before), but the CROWD was flabberghasted. The tone was between
muted trumpet and sax (but CRYING), very laconic, mournful. Our duet(s)
went rather well, and the people did something unusual. They turned
their chairs around and paid attention.

  Instead of breaking up at our usual time, we went an extra hour. Ed
DOES use altered tuned diatonics and I suppose he can keep it straight
as to what he is doing at all times. He is also a former world champion
(Trossingen Germany/Diatonic), so I guess that pretty much explains it.
  You GOTTA hear this guy. :)

  I, on the other hand, concentrate mostly on "straight" chromatics and
diatonics. No sense taxing a brain which is struggling in the first
place.

smo-joe