Re: RE: Can't get enough of Stevie

When I heard the Stevie version of 'Moon River', I thought the same thing,
wow!...he's playing it pretty 'straight'. Not something you often hear
Stevie do.

Someone mentioned the Herbie Hancock record of Gershwin Tunes feat. Stevie,
another Herbie record with Stevie playing Harmonica is called "Man Child"
(1975) on a tune called  "Steppin' In It,"  it's not a great record or one
of Stevie better performances but still interesting stuff with some top
notch players.

Another Mancini tune would ofcourse be Toots' version of "The Days of Wine
and Roses", his arrangement starts in 'F' and Modulates to 'Ab' and has
become an arrangement that Jazz players are fond of.

  My favorites Mancini song is "Two for the Road", a beautiful ballad from
the movie of the same name.

One more Mancini aside, for the CA folks, I just got a call to do a Mancini
tribute at the newly rennovated "Hollywood Bowl". They are doin' a tribute
to the Music of Henry Mancini and they are using a wide variety of artists.
I'd be part of the Original Blues Brothers Band who are being asked to do
their version of "Peter Gunn". I think the date will be June 25, but we
haven't confirmed it as yet. Should be a blast!!

    Even more interesting, Peter Gunn has been covered by artists like Dick
Dale, King Curtis and even the Monkees & Emerson Lake and Palmer!

And Finally, one of Mancini's favorite players (and mine) is the great
Harmonicist, Tommy Morgan. Here's a cool statement Mancini made in the
foreward of Tommy's instructional book in 71':

 1971

Foreword to the method book TOMMY MORGAN CHROMATIC HARMONICA.

My friendship with Tommy Morgan goes back many years.  During that time,
music has gone through many changes.  With regard to the harmonica, Tommy
has known "where it was at" every minute of the way.  He not only knows
where it is "now" but where it was "way back then."  Simply stated:  Tommy
Morgan does it all!

Hank Mancini

peace & love
Rob Paparozzi,-)

> Last Saturday I awoke to an NPR feature on film composer Henry
> Mancini - Saturday would have been his 80th birthday. A new CD of his
> work has been released, and features Stevie playing Moon River, the
> harmonica feature from Breakfast at Tiffany's originally recorded by
> George Fields for the film score. It sounded like Stevie was actually
> trying to pay tribute to Fields' rendition instead of being flat-out
> Stevie, even though full-strength Stevie would have been a more
> interesting take on the tune. You can probably still access the
> program at the NPR website.
>
> As a Mancini aside, I believe William Clarke once recorded Mancini's
> Pink Panther Theme originally written for saxophonist Plas Johnson,
> and Joe Filisko once did an interesting group harmonica stunt using
> the Peter Gunn theme.

.valuepricehosting.com