Re: Requests

Johnny T. wrote:
>Mitch, I got another request: any Otis Redding ballad esp. "The Glory Of
Love"....

Hey Johnny, I don't remember those tunes you mentioned but how about "Try A
Little Tenderness"?

- --Hey Mitch:

     Don't cross me, kid.  I made ya, and I can break ya.  You're takin' a
dive in the sixth round against the champ--or else!
     But here's the thing, Mitch: by strange coincidence (not so strange, I
guess, considering I brought up Otis in the first place) I've been fooling
around with Tenderness myself--in my personal life as well as my musical one--and
while it's a great tune (even on the lowly diatonic Hering 1923), it lacks
what we in the Harp Cover Tune Business call "the shock of the new."  To me, one
of the things that made your version of "Moanin'" so great, aside from the
incredible chops and sensitivity, was the very thing that made Otis' versions of
"Tenderness" and "The Glory of Love"--which I believe has been around since at
least the '40s?--so powerful: nobody'd been thinking very much about those
songs until he brought them roaring back to life.  (OK, the Platters charted
with "Glory" in the '50s, but still...)
     Maybe it's my fixation on Otis--the massive strength combined with such
delicate nuance--but I really do urge you to comb through some of the
lesser-known tunes.
     Having said that, of course, I'd be thrilled to hear your version of
"Tenderness" too.
     And we can discuss my managerial fees later--but I warn you, they
sometimes range all the way up to the two-beer range...

Keep playin
Johnny T