  From: scott=20
  To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx=20
  Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 11:16 PM
  Subject: Re: Carey Bell, what kind mic and effects does he use?

  >Hi Folks,

  >Do you know what equpiment Carey Bell use? He's sounds is like >a
  >hammond.

  I haven't seen Carey in a while, but I co-produced the two CDs he did =
for Alligator.  During that time, he always used a custom made mic that =
was given to him by an admirer while on tour in Scandanavia somewhere - =
it was the element from a Shure SM57 installed into a gold colored body =
that was a lot smaller and shorter than an SM57 body, and was machined =
to fit nicely in the hand when cupped with a harp.  I don't recall that =
he had any preferred amplifier - I think on gigs he just used whatever =
loud, reliable amp was available.   In the studio we ran his harp mic =
through a series of Y-cords to an array of different amps I brought to =
the studio, recorded each to a different track, and then in the final =
mix used the one(s) that sounded best.  He did insist on using an octave =
pedal though, which was sent though a Bassman reissue (and isolated so =
the sound wouldn't leak into any of the other mics!)  We used this =
sparingly on his CDs, ! but he used it constantly on gigs, and this =
might be what is referred to in the question above.  I think we *might* =
have also used an actual "Leslie" organ cabinet at some point, which =
obviously would give that kind of quavering, Hammond organ-like sound.  =
I haven't listened to the CDs lately, but I don't think much (if any) of =
it ended up on the CDs.  The one thing I do remember about it is that it =
caused his harp playing to sound out of tune, which is why we stayed =
away from it and tried to discourage him from using it.  As for his live =
gigs, it's possible that he might use (or have used) some sort of =
imitation "Leslie" effect pedal (if such a thing exists), but the only =
thing I've ever seen him use is the octave pedal.  Which he apparently =
loves, for better or worse.

  Scott

- -----
  Do you Yahoo!?
  Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25=A2