RE: Moanin' and the CX-10

As Mojo Red stated, I play the custom made CX-10 built by Brendan Power.  I
have my own tuning (contact me off list for more info).  This is the only
harp I play.  I mostly play a key of C tuned harp and can play it in all
keys but I will, when the occasion calls for it, use a different key harp so
that I can play in a position that might be better suited (or  more
comfortable/flexible/smoother) for the tune I'm playing.  On Moanin' I used
the C harp and played in the key of F minor(key the tune was written in).  I
think of positions based on the key they represent on the C harp.  So I
don't think of playing in 12th position, I think of playing in "F minor/Ab
major" position.  As Mojo and Martin alluded to, this harp allows me combine
the ballsy blues sound I started out playing(using pretty much the same
richter set up I was used to) with the jazzier harmonic complexity I later
grew into.  I started out playing the Koch about 30 years ago and then
switched to the Slide Harp when I discovered that.  As everyone knows those
harps are not very well made and I always wanted to have a custom instrument
built (talked to Huang and Hohner about it over the years).  When I found
Brendan Power was building almost exactly what I wanted I thought I'd died
and went to Heaven!!
To hear how "diatonic sounding" I play the CX-10,  check out my tune
"Backyard Boogie"  at
http://www.ampcast.com/mitchweiss  it's a solo harp gut-bucket kind of
thing.

On the tongue blocking subject, I also use the under side of the tongue/tip
of tongue on roof of mouth technique.  If I try to do it the other way ..
Ugh!!!

Mitch Weiss

This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. All market prices, data and other information are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change without notice. Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of Schonfeld Securities LLC, its subsidiaries and affiliates.