Re: Tribute is a great idea

we all listen to the music greats    sometimes turning eachother on to unknown to us jewels of recorded music(and players).   so covering of classic's is proforma, everyone does it at some time   creativity is something else again  my feeling is forget about tribute recordings
find local or reachable players and support them  as in telling us about their playing
or how you felt when they played .    big walter horton told me over a bottel of segrams
extre dry " I'll bet you, my white boy will beat your white boy" always husseling
 he was a cxrack-up    taller than me by about an inch and i'm 6'2". junior wells told me that he put his harp(cliped) in some pantyhose in the grill of his cad to break them in.
pay tribute to your faveriotes by loving them and their memory.

I like it when the brother speeks about diggin the moment it is the chance we have
                                     LOV Ben

Indiana <gdubya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Who IS better than the original?  Unless, they are "original" enough to be called "original" too.

Seems strange to be perplexed that the tribute and/or cover must be compared to the "original"
as to whether it is "better" or "as good as".

To my ear, Joe Cocker did some Beatles songs as good or better than the Beatles... or at least
made them his own.  But can't it just be good on its own and not be compared?  I'm a great lover
of Jimi Hendrix, but the more I listen and learn, the more I hear Hooker, Magic Sam, Buddy Guy
and others in his sound.  I used to think he was 100% original, a spaceman that figured out what
nobody ever did before.

I read in a recent magazine that there's a book on Robert Johnson himself coming out, where
it compares the music he did with some of the people he covered/and or learned from or potentially
copied.  As good or better.... no matter to me.... I love to hear him.....  that's really all I need to know.
Original or derivative, I think it doesn't matter if it sounds good to YOUR ear.

Although music can be a competitive sport I guess.... it sure doesn't need to be, IMHO.

Who was it that said, "there are no bad notes, just bad choices"?