Re: (Boom Boom) The Boogie

On Apr 16, 2004, at 5:05 PM, Pat Missin wrote:

> Smokey Joe wrote:
>> They say that if he (Pinetop) had lived, he would have been the best
>> there ever
>> was. His life was cut short by (I believe) a Liver ailment
>> No, it wasn' from drinking.
>
> He was shot in the back whilst playing piano. I guess he could have
> been hit in the liver, which might just about qualify as an acute
> liver ailment!
>
> One advantage of being a harp player is that it is easier to duck,
> although you do have less protection from your instrument.
>
>  -- Pat.

  Yes, see, this is what I was talking about last week, These poor
writers are at the mercy of the people they are interviewing. I
remember reading a book back in 61 about the history of Jazz. It had
everyone from 1882 onward (King Oliver, Kid Ory, Turk Murphy, Leon
Beiderbecke, Jack Teagarden, Armstrong, etc) I wish I could remember
the title but it was about 1 1/8" thick, softcover. (does anyone KNOW
it?) Those were gentler times and possibly their use of the phrase
"Pinetop died of liver failure" was the way to word things back then
(as opposed to saying he was asasinated).

  I'm not much (normally) for Biographies because I don't want my heros
to loose esteem when I find out something (allegedly) "seedy". I
remember when I found out Ben Franklin was a "Creep".
I still have Copernicus and my all time favorite Nikolai Tesla standing
unscathed.

  What if I knew some (relatively) well known players and one of them
was a "Klepto" and his house was filled with linens from all the hotels
he had been to, or let's say another liked to collect those nice deck
chairs from the ocean liners, or maybe another had to have the lights
on to sleep. Certainly, if I knew these things, I would never shoot my
mouth off to an interviewer. Some stuff is better left unsaid.

smo-joe