Re: (Boom Boom) The Boogie

> I found a very good article on the boogie woogie beat that said ?the
> great
> American bluesman Leadbelly heard an old-time Louisiana piano player
> who
> called himself ?Pine Top? playing boogie woogie. Leadbelly picked up
> Pine
> Top's rhythmic style and imitated it on his guitar. L

  Willie "Pinetop" Smith was born in a Bordello. No, not what you think,
his mother was the COOK. He learned to play by resting his little hands
on the keys, while the "rolls" went through their cycle. Eventually, he
"Beat" the rolls (sort of a John Henry versus the steam powered mining
drill type of deal).
  They say that if he had lived, he would have been the best there ever
was. His life was cut short by (I believe) a Liver ailment (Bix
Beiderbeck had a Kidney Ailment?). No, it wasn' from drinking. From
what I remember Pinetop was only 23 yrs old, Soooo, Old time Louisiana
piano player, might just be literary liberty. Perhaps when they wrote
old time, they meant a long time BEFORE Ledbetter.  Sort of why I
posted the other week that I'm very skeptical about ANYTHING. Hey,
maybe it's just me........I can't help myself
P.S. I still do his "Boogie". It requires being able to get all 4 notes
out of the #3 draw.

  smokey-joe