Re: Fwd: more on civil war harps

G wrote:

>Quite. Although on Isabella Krapf's Vintage Harmonica Edition's site
>http://www.vintage-harmonica-editions.com
>she writes Seydel have been in business before Hohner, from 1847, 10 years
>before Hohner:
>http://www.vintage-harmonica-editions.com/seydelManu.htm

This is true, but I believe Hohner began exporting to the US before
Seydel did. In fact, Seydel have never really been major players in
the US market.

There were also quite a few companies that predated both Seydel and
Hohner - FA Bohm, Emil Friedel, Friedrich Hotz, Christian Messner,
Gebr Ludwig, Wilhelm Thie, etc., are the first few that leap to mind,
although there were lots of others. Few of them lasted much into the
20th century before being bought out by one of the bigger firms.

 -- Pat.