Re: Toots

Hi All,

David Said:

> So Mike Polesky and I took our ladies out to Herb Alpert's new jazz club
"Vibrato" last
> night to see Toots!  There we were, Mike sipping his beer, me nursing my
Harvey
> Wallbanger when who should sit down at the table right next to us but
Quincy Jones!

True story my friends!  I was definitely in heaven.

> It was a night to remember with Mike making an important announcement
(which I'll leave to
> him to announce here) and Toots playing an incredible set with the amazing
Kenny Barron
> on piano.

I make this mistake too ;-).  It's Kenny Werner playing the piano here - as
at SPAH just a few years back  Kenny Barron and Kenny Werner are two of the
finest pianists around and I mix them up all the time just because they are
both named Kenny and both among my favorites.  What makes the Toots and
Kenny Werner duo so impressive is that they can communicate musically in a
way that surpasses most other performers in jazz.  Their ability to make
great music out of each others' smallest utterances is absolutely amazing.
When the mood hits them they change tunes in one beat ;-).  They could
follow each other anywhere.  I have to admit that I can't name any other
jazz performers with a similar approach.  Many jazz players can build upon
the utterances of others in the band, but these two can go from tune to tune
on a whim in a way which defies the general "structure" that surrounds most
jazz music.  They may be psychic!  But, it really highlights Toots' special
talents at this time in a way which differs significantly from his earliest
recordings when he was in a more structured environment.

> After it was over Toots came down and sat at Quincy's table where I got
him
> to autograph my Fender Tweed harp case and take some pictures with Mike
and me.

You better give me copies of those pictures!

Michael