RE: NEW Clapton CD with Jerry Portnoy

Garry Hodgson remarked:
> > I previewed this new Clapton CD at Barnes & Noble, and
> > I was a bit disappointed.  It's definitely worth buying
> > because - - hey, it's Clapton.  But my impression was that
> > Jerry Portnoy's harmonica playing was very much soft, and
> > subdued, and way in the background.  I found it hard to
> > hear, because it didn't jump out at me.  Admittedly, my
> > ears are 52 years old, but I don't think it's just me.

I've heard the whole album several times and couldn't agree more.  It's part
of a larger dissappointment that I also agree with you about (read on).

> i have this same problem with other clapton albums.
> they're about clapton, not about harp.

Yup!!!  My first reaction was to ask why does Clapton need/want a whole
orchestra backing him up on these elegantly simple songs?  My next reaction
was that, jeez, I wish Clapton would unleash Portnoy at least every now and
then.  Like the rest of the musicians on this album, ~all~ of Portnoy's
playing is quite obviously designed and produced to prop up Clapton's guitar
and singing.  Finally I realized the pervasive truth in what you said above.
The whole thing is very heavily and carefully orchestrated and produced to
push Clapton's admittedly capable guitar work and OK singing right up front.
It feels real "arranged" and "packaged", which I somehow find objectionable
when paying homage to RJ.  I'd like to hear a version of these songs with
just Clapton singing and playing on a couple of songs and the rest of the
songs where he lets the other players step out a bit more, Delaney and
Bonney style.  In fact it irked me when I saw the cover and insert art which
consists of a number of views of Clapton mimicking RJ's posture etc. in a
familar old picture of him sitting alone in a chair and holding an acoustic
guitar.  Not much truth in advertising there.

In truth, I feel almost embarrased for the players Clapton surrounded
himself with for this album--being of the caliber they are.  I can see the
dilemma.  Imagine what you'd do if the most famous guitar player in the
world asked you to come be his harmonica "lackey" for an album and nice long
stint at Royal Albert Hall?  I suppose that's the sort of problem we'd all
like to have...  :)

You might not have guessed it, but having said all this, I still like the
album in spite of its too-shiny polish.  After all, they're great old songs
played by top-notch musicians.

Michelle