Charlie Musselwhite Sanctuary

This is a quick review because I only listened to it a couple of times and it
takes awhile for me to really appreciate a CD.

First off,the harp playing is extrodinary(yes I'm gushing). Very little
pyrotechnics just beautiful tone and phrasing. The last song on the CD Highway
19 is a textbook example of how to play harp. Charlie's got this slow vibrato
technique that I've never heard before. Moving. The band is top notch, really
raucous. Track 4 has the Blind Boys of Alabama testifying while Charlie wails
in the background-wonderful. There's a nice spacey slide harp instrumental
piece as well.

My first impression is there are some gems mixed in with some lacklustre songs
and lacklustre singing. It seems to take Charlie and the band a minute to warm
up before they really start cooking.That aside, when Charlie steps away from
the new blues formula and really plays, the results are sublime. Remember the
first time you heard Little Walter or Sonny Terry or Junior Wells? Remember
that rush? That feeling of wow what's that music? You'll feel that over and
over again when you listen to this CD.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.soundclick.com/theelectricstarlightspaceanimals.htm