Charlie Musselwhite (and Tampa Blues Fest, too).

I've always admired Charlie because of the fact that he is the only leading
blues harmonica recording artist that goes out on a limb for his beliefs in
"heart" being at the center of all kinds of music, and bringing these influences
to his blues recording/playing. Not all of these attempts have proven
successful, but at least he has the courage and vision to try them out.

btw, I have as yet to hear a recording capture the full warmth of his singing
and harmonica playing. Charlie definitely needs to be heard live to give you
the full impact of his abilities, of which lately I heard his set at the Tampa
Blues Fest (and met the nice folks from "Best Little Harp House" as well).

Also a great education in position playing - no one is as smooth in 3rd (and
4th, even 5th) position as Charlie, although Madcat does an admireable job on
some of his jazz tunes.

The Iceman

ps - pinch me I must be dreaming, as last week I caught Kim Wilson's Blues
Revue at a little downtown Orlando club called "The Social" and the next day saw
Charlie at the Tampa Blues fest. This is a RARE treat for the Orlando
(Central FL) area, the musical wasteland as far as decent touring national acts goes.
(In order to hear good harmonica playing in Orlando, I have to go out and
listen to myself play the occasional local gig).