Re: Upper-Plate Screws on Vintage 1923s

> Should I just accept as a sad fact of life that, despite a tone I adore,
the Hering 1923s have some innate
> design flaw that makes one of the top-plate screws (for some reason,
usually the right one) loosen and
> detach after one or two gigs?

It has nothing to do with how hard you play but a lot to do with someone
having possibly overtightened the screws and stripped the threads.

Answer these questions and we may be able to help you:

Q. Will the offending screws tighten up or do they just keep turning?
Q. What is the material having the female screw threads...metal, plastic, or
wood?
Q. Are the male screw threads, as seen through a magnifying glass, in good
shape or are they stripped?

Vern

- --Thanks so much for posing the questions in terms even a
mechanically-impaired mind can understand, and for refraining from those tempting "screw-loose"
one-liners.
In 2 of the 3 cases the screw in question, so to speak, popped out completely
in mid-tune, and I had to finish the song while pressing down the plate
manually...and it would've been a live-gig buzzkill of major proportions to get
down on my hands and knees and hunt down the offending screw on a dark
stage-carpet stained with fluids of various description...but the 3rd offender was
successfully apprehended and is presently in custody inside an old White Owl Cigar
box at home.  When I get back home I will unlock the gates of that small
wooden Guantanamo, examine the screw, and write back with an answer.  (Despite
the--hopefully--lighthearted tone of my reply, I really am grateful, because for
me these harps are so close to mid-60s Marine Bands, and so precise in their
response to draw-bends in particular, that I'd like to use them for pretty much
all straight-ahead Chicago blues...if I can solve this problem.  Thanks
again--

Johnny T
Mayfield Road Gang