Re: Amp Rectifiers

In some amps designs, a tube rectifier is prone to voltage "sag" when the amp is pushed to the max. This sag (lowering of plate voltage) causes tubes to distort/crunch earlier, changing the tone. Eddie Van Halen is famous for loving the sound of early distorting tubes, and would run his amps on a variac to artificially lower plate voltage. (Don't do it! Eddie can afford to have his amps rebuilt on a regular basis)

A solid-state rectifier won't sag. Its not a matter of good/bad -- more a matter of taste. FWIW, most amps now have solid state rectification.