Amp Rectifiers

Can anyone tell me what a Rectifier does?  Does it matter
whether an amp has a tube rectifier or a solid-state rectifier?
Does a tube rectifier give an amp a different sound than a
solid-state rectifier?  How important is it to the sound to
have a tube rectifier?  My Fender "Champ 12" has tube preamp
and power stages, but a solid-state rectifier.  Would it be
possible or worthwhile having it modified to tube rectifier?

Richard J. Smith, R.A.