On sound differences

Hi,

Concerning my "Solder on reeds" contribution I corrected my assertion that=20
the solder forms an alloy with the reed brass. I only mention that to show=20
that=20
I=B4m the last one who wouldn=B4t admit an incorrectness. =20

The same goes for Harpie=B4s last sentence in the "thicker reedplate" thread
where he said: "Mind you, they (the believers) mostly said "another" and=20
not a "better" sound."

OK, there=B4s nothing what I have to correct because Harpie can say whatever=
 he=20
likes
but I feel a little responsible for this guy. So, the term "better" should b=
e=20
modified=20
because that was never a point of discussion when the dead horse was in full=
=20
action
a couple of years ago.

To make it quite clear, it=B4s not my intention to resuscitate this horse as=
=20
John "Whiteboy" Walden suggested. I only try to examine whether it is=20
sufficient,
allowed or possible to say that a certain harp has a better sound than=20
another one.=20

I think that=B4s not an academic question as a harper would say who is alrea=
dy=20
satisfied when his instrument is correctly tuned, the slide (if a chrom)=20
doesn=B4t=20
stick and the valves don=B4t make their own "music".

It seems that these are all objective facts? OK, whether a slide sticks or=20
not=20
isn=B4t disputable, but when is a harp "correctly" tuned? At 440 or 442 or=20
lower
or higher?=20

Newbies often ask on harp-L  for the best harp they should buy and they ofte=
n=20
get
a concrete answer, take this harp, it=B4s the best one. No, I think that har=
p=20
is better is=20
the other information because on harp-L one can get as many answers as=20
possible.=20

If I asked Harpie what harp he would take in this case, he would answer:=20
No problema, I would ask in a music shop for the best harp and after I have=20
paid I would also buy the better one. Yes, Harpie, I=B4m sure you would do=20
that.  =20

ts take two harpers
playing in a competion and you ask the jury who will be the winner. Very=20
simple=20
they would answer: the better player.=20

  =20

=20

=20