Re: Rolling cover plates

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "david j. brown" <nonidesign@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I bought four Low SP20s and two of them have a buzz on the bottom end from
> the reeds tickling the cover plates.  Any suggestions on the best way to
> roll covers to increase the reed clearance and eliminate the rattle? I
used
> a piece of aluminum rod to do a few in the past and got OK results, but
the
> edge of the cover pulled away from the edge of the comb near the holes
about
> a1/32 of an inch. I can live with that but would like any tips from the
> surgeons out there on the list.

You can make the screw holes larger, so that the edge comes to it´s position
again. No big deal.

> I have also been opening up the vent side of the cover plates for more
> projection. I have a pair of pliers for sheet metal, and that does a fair
> job of bending the edge lips under, but I have seen a couple of customized
> harps that looked a lot better. Any suggestions on how to do this a better
> way?

I used a big hammer (didn´t have a small one at hand) and suported the
covers with wood, so it doesn´t mark the plates. It is even better if you
shape this piece of wood accordingly to the cover´s profile.

Regards,
Fernando