Re: Solder on reeds

Ken.Hildebrand wrote:

>Why mix stainless steel powder or brass powder to the adhesive (epoxy resin,
>superglue, nail polisth, etc) as opposed to just using the adhesive to add
>weight to the reed ?
>
>Does the metal powder add MORE needed weight than the adhesive alone?

Yes - therefore reducing the size of the blob needed to lower the
pitch by a given amount.

>Where's a good source for these powders ?

Art and craft supply houses carry metal powders in small quantities.
They are often used as filler ingredients for casting resins.

www.artstuf.com

www.barnesproducts.com.au

www.compleatsculptor.com

www.sculpt.com

www.smooth-on.com

I would also check the yellow pages for any local hobby stores that
might carry it, which would save you a few doillars in shipping
charge.

Another similar method is to glue a piece of an old reed to the tip of
the one you want to lower in pitch, although I've had much better
results using the epoxy/stainless steel mix.

>P.S. Hey Pat Missin ! You coming to the Buckeye this year ?

Yes, but for a limited time only. I'll be at Joe's Teach-a-thon on the
Saturday afternoon.

BTW, if anyone has tried to email me in the last 24 hours and not
received the usual speedy reply, it's because my incoming email is
currently not working. If you don't get a reply in the next few days,
please send your message again.

 -- Pat.