Solder on Reeds

At 03:32 PM 3/31/2004 -0500, Joe and Cass Leone wrote:

>On Mar 31, 2004, at 1:59 PM, Laughton, Bob wrote:
>>
>> What is your method of soldering?
>ALSO place a heat sink somewhere on the bottom half towards the rivet.
>This can be as simple as a paper clip. I use a WET aligator clip.
>Wetness is kept in place by sticking a bit of cotton back inside the
>jaws.

This is one of those places where the teflon fabric we use for windsavers in
the Renaissance can also be useful.  A small snippet of the material is thin
yet stiff enough to slip under a reed before soldering.  One can avoid
getting solder in the reedslot or elsewhere not desired while also protecting
surfaces from getting too hot.  It's easy to isolate the reed being soldered,
and the fabric resists the solder, keeping the reed and fabric shim from
welding together as well.

Due to its nonstick, heat tolerant properties, the teflon bakeware liner is
excellent for use beneath soldering jobs in general.

Bobbie
||  I L U S  H A R M O N I C A S  <<<<>>>>  Tallahassee, Florida  ||
||>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.tfn.net/~bobg/Renaissance.htm <<<<<<<<<<<||