Re: A Bit of History

>BassHarp,
>
>Someone remarked in another thread how this list is dominated by
>diatonic players.

   * That may have been me. I wasn't referring to this in a BAD way.
Merely that the figures were heavily in favor of diatonic players in
this particular case. More importantly, in addition to having more
diatonic players, there are more CHAMPION diatonic players. Other
lists contain chromatic players AND these chromatic players ALSO play
diatonic (to a lesser extent). But these chromatic lists contain far
fewer CHAMPIONS, and those that ARE there either don't post very
often, don't post at ALL, lurk, or even when they DO post, there
isn't as much of a tendency to put out LENGHTY directions or
descriptions as to how to handle a particular problem/technique (as
on Harp-L.)

  * I did a series of posts a couple years ago referring to "What the
Pros Won't Tell You" and it basically addressed the tendency of pros
to keep secrets (that were hard-won or garnered the hard way) to
themselves. Note; there ARE exceptions. Pros that I have know would
say things like "we'll cross that bridge when we come to it".
Eventually we would come to the bridge, the subject was NEVER dealt
with, and the Pro passed away and took it with them.

>   Well, as a diatonic player, I want to say how much I appreciate
>hearing and seeing stuff about the chromatic and orchestra type
>stuff.  I play the diatonic because this was the kind of music that
>I listened to growing up in the 50's and 60's.  That's what was
>popular.

   * See, back in the "old" days when we were coming out of the
depression, there were a quadrazillion harmonica players.There were
also a LOT of venues to play at. As time went on, these venues dried
up and only the most successful remained as the rest slowly but
surely slipped into oblivion. Those that remained were careful to
hold onto whatever "LEG-UP" they had on the competition.
   The Harmonicats are an example. They were probably the MOST
successful group and when Don Les left the group, he went into
(virtual) limbo for years. Al Fiore retired after 50+- yrs and had
put enough aside for a VERY modest pension. Jerry (having invested,
was able to retire gracefully), but MANY of the old timers barely got
by and wound up doing other things.
   The old GREAT diatonic players basically lived day to day and as
venues dried up, their prospects did too. Fighting for survival, only
a few made it and NONE got rich.

>I have always loved hearing the stuff that groups like the Harmonica
>Rascals were doing before the war, but about the only place that one
>heard this stuff was if you watched old movies on the late late
>show.  Where can I learn more about these groups.  How did these
>players hook up and how did they get into playing their various
>instruments.

   *Bassharp (Danny Wilson) knows more about this subject than anyone
around but he probably wouldn't talk about it as he could tell you
stories that would rip the corpuscles out of your heart.

>   I mean, it's one thing for a guy with a chrom or a diatonic to be
>a solo performer (even if it's in your bedroom), but it would seem
>to me that the chord and bass harmonicas really needed to be part of
>an ensemble.

   * They met on the road, WPA camps, city parks (who had programs for
the kids) Newspapers (like the Baltimore Sun), the N.Y. Hebrew
Orphanage, Hoboing, like THAT.

>   Were there conservatories and such for learning to play in groups like this?

   * Yeah, we WISH

>   I'm really fascinated and would love to learn more about this kind of stuff.
>Thanks for posting the pictures.
>
>Howard Chandler

   * Human nature is a funny thing. I USED to go DIRECTLY to the posts
from certain people (Winslow is ONE example..there are dozens). It
has gotten to the point whereas I am IMMEDIATELY drawn to "other"
people as well (BBQ Bob is another). I am now at a point that just
about EVERYONE is Soooo interesting that I no longer have to wade
through the posts on a "preferential" list.

   * I can learn as much in 61 weeks as I have learned in 61 years.
AND, here's the best; these guys are no longer "hiding" their
knowledge behind a smile. They are sharing above and beyond the call
of duty.

   * Although I don't follow "mic" and "Amp" threads too closely, some
of the TECHNICAL help is just astounding. I find that while I thought
I knew a lot about harmonica, in the big scheme of things, I know
NOTHING. While I use a Vocal "Peavey Black Diamond" and plug into
whatever is available and snicker at all the CULTISH fervor over this
equipment or that equipment, I fully realize that these guys REALLY
know some Schitt and respect their opinion.

   smokey