all that jazz...

There will be a new course in our local music school about "Jazz
Ensemble Playing."

I decided to take the chance and booked the course. I called the teacher
to ask him some questions. Because I never played Jazz, I asked him to
know what he thinks the students should be able to do with their
instruments. I told him that I can read music, but that I couldn't do
sight reading, i.e. to play right from the sheet - I need some time to
get comfortable with written music, I have to work on it at home...

He asked me: what instrument do you play and when I said that I am
playing harmonica he said: So you are playing by ear...

Otto

PS: oh, I nearly forgot to say: the teacher of this Jazz-Course is a
drummer...