forced to 1st position

On his way to the stage (at the Jackson Hole Hootenanny), my buddy Greg asked if I could play in Bb on Delia; he's a guitar player/singer.  (I've trained him not to tell me which key harmonica to play!)  I went to my auxiliary brown paper bag and pulled out an Eb and a low Eb; I pretty much only play in 2nd position.  Well, as we get going, I know I'm not in the right key!  Panic.  Fairly quickly (thank goodness) I discover that he's playing in Eb and that I can get by blowin' quietly in the 1 and 4 with occasional quick runs higher up.  I'm thinking: did he say the song was in Eb, and in the rush I got confused?  Coming off the stage, I said "That was in Eb."  He said "No," (slightly snobbishly).  He then caught me a bit later and apologetically acknowledged that I was right.  I told him, yeah, and I don't play in first position.  We were both laughing.  He said, "stick with me, and I'll make a professional outta you!"
I recounted the story to the fiddle player, and he had no sympathy, reminding me that he doesn't carry a dozen fiddles around.  He later said in the parking lot that guitar players who hang their capos from their rearview mirror get to park in handicapped spaces.
The whole thing was pretty funny, so I thought I would share.
- --john k.

Do you Yahoo!?