Butterfield live long

Just got East West Live and Strawberry Jam-thank you J.P. Strawberry Jam has
a lot more harp on it-pretty much straight forward blues very well done.
Since it was recorded around 1966, I'd say Butterfield couldn't have been
playing more than 10 years. His tone and technique are wonderful. Vibrato to
die for. Butterfield shines as a band leader. His solos really work the
crowd into a frenzy and his singing is great. I really like the minor key
jazzy playing on the title tune-Strawberry Jam. Some of the nicest electric
harp I've heard. Inspirational. The sound quality is rough but this kind of
music sounds better when it's not too pristine.

East West Live is for Butterfield fans. I loved it, but some people may have
problems with 45 minutes of just one song, albeit in 3 different
versions.Still, for me this is the Holy Grail, this is what I play. It's
very hard to find improvisational rock harp. East West 3 the 28 minute
version (yes 28 minutes!) has some beautiful, very melodic harp, far removed
from the stereotypical riff laden blues harp typical on many rock records.
It's also nice to see a harp playing band leader give so much time to the
rest of the band. Again, the sound quality is rough.

So I would recommend Strawberry Jam to anyone that likes Chicago blues
electric harp playing. I put it up there with Junior Wells's Hoodoo Man-high
praise indeed.If you play improvisational rock, you need to hear East West
Live.

Thanks again J.P.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com