Re: Blow Bends

The high blow bends are IMHO underused by most harmonica players.  Audiences
love 'em.  If I want to get a crowd stirred up, QUICK, I'll take a high note
solo.

Embouchure depends on pitch.  The lower notes require more room inside the
mouth.  Conversely, high notes need very little room.  When I play high note
bends, my tongue is on the roof of my mouth, with a small air channel.

The key to good sounding high blow bends is practice, and listening to your
pitch control and tone.  Learn to bend these slowly, deliberately,
gradually, with pinpoint control.

When can you use 'em?  Constantly.  They're every bit as valid as the low
notes, and because so many harpers shy away from them, you'll find yourself
in rarefied company.

A lot of harpers believe the high notes are good only for first position,
and yet even Jimmy Reed played them in 2nd.  I use them in all positions.
They provide different bends.  Low notes let you work off a V-9 chord.  High
ones are off the I chord.

Someone commented that they can be shrill.  Yes, if you play them too loud,
they'll cut through your whole being like a light sabre.  I try to back off
a bit when going high.

On Tuesday, September 09, 2003 6:22 AM
[GMT-7=PDT],dr.alters-wizardsway@xxxxxxx <dr.alters-wizardsway@xxxxxxx>