Re: Re: Reed plate swap-outs

- --- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "G." <gigs@xxxx> wrote:

>Marine Band reedplates have a groove for the covers,
>SP20s don't.  Although I understand that given the
>choice you're better without the groove in terms of
>improved air tightness - you may want to compare for yourself.

Without the groove, the covers will be harder to stabilize in place,
and may slide off the front of the harmonica over the holes. The
SP20, like the Lee Oskar, has a mouthpiece to hold the covers back
and does not need a groove. When I first tried creating a Discrete
Comb for the Lee Oskar, I ran into this problem. I had to add a
mouthpiece to keep the covers off the holes. And no, the cover bolts
were not sufficent restraint against unwanted cover movement.

The Marine Band and Golden Melody both use the groove in absence of a
mouthpiece, and it serves nicely to lock the covers in place.

Winslow