Re: Reed Tuning/wondering pitch

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "the Leones" <leone@xxxxxxxx>

>    IF, having a (real) problem with "Final" tuning the blow reeds, one
> could use a fish filter pump. There is NO condensation and a STEADY
> stream of air (preventing quavers). Draw reeds won't be as much a
> problem because you are DRAWING and there isn't the moisture problem
> (unless you're in a shower), and a draw breath can be more easily
> controlled and steadied with the larnyx.

I´m not sure about which pump you are talking, but the ones I have seen
won´t give you onte tenth of the necessary airflow for making a reed
vibrate.

I work on a project at my job for which I have the obligation of analyzing
different reeds and their response to extreme low and extreme high flows.
The lowest flow that makes that reed vibrate (an 8.2 mm long and 0.15 mm
thick reed) is about 2 LPM (liters per minute), and a normal flow is about
6-8 LPM.

I always tune my reeds by drawing, not blowing, as it is done at the
factories, where they use tuning tables.

I use a device which eliminates the problem of condensation and mitigates to
almost non-existance the problem of change in volume of resonance of my
mouth. It is simply a box, about half a liter big, with a cushioned slot for
the reed and a small tube coming out. This tube I use to draw air through
the reed, with my own lungs. No big and noisy machines, and very
inexpensive.

The size of the box being quite big, any change in embouchure si relatively
non-significant and doesn´t produce a change in pitch.

I must warn you, though, that there are some very experienced customizers
that don´t use tuning tables or devices, trusting their own embouchure
technique and ear to achieve a better result.
As my hearing is not as near developed and I have to retune my harps
quickly, I use this method. I hope it helps others with problems like mine.

Best regards,
Fernando Bresslau, who cannot hear a difference of pitch smaller than 4 - 5
cents.