RE: Music for Harp and Guitar

GP Grant inquired about Music for Harp and Guitar:

> I'm looking for some impressive numbers to learn/play for guitar and
> harmonica.  I've pretty much exhausted the offerings of Cephas and Wiggins
> (with success) and I am currently looking for new artists/songs to learn.
>
> I'd like to minimize the number of harp/guitar tunes with a vocal part
(because
> neither one of us is much of a singer!) so tunes for just guitar and
harmonica
> are preferred.
>
> Any suggestions for tunes to play would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> G.

Hi, G2 (like Steve Shaw, G.'s already taken in my book  :) -

I assume from your reference to Cephas and Wiggins that you are delving into
blues harp/guitar duets.  If that is the case, I wholeheartedly suggest that
you look into Tom Ball's and Kenny Sultan's work:

http://www.bassharp.com/tomball.htm.

Cephas and Wiggins adhere closely to the classic Piedmont blues style on
their recordings (though they can really boogie when they want to).  Tom and
Kenny range wide and far with their tune selections and don't constrain
themselves to any one style, though they've developed a sound all their own.
Be advised that if you try to emulate Tom's playing precisely, you'll likely
end up back at the woodshed--he's a MONSTER harp player!  Kenny is quite an
accomplished guitar player, equalling Tom's skill on the harp.  Amazingly,
Tom's also a terrific guitarist as witnessed by NPR's recent selection of
his album of classic guitar pieces played on a steel string guitar (18
Pieces for Solo Steel String Guitar) for their "Open Mic" award:

http://www.npr.org/programs/asc/openmic/index.php?episode=1#song6

Another great choice for blues guitar and harp would be Paul Rishell and
Annie Raines:

http://www.paulandannie.com/

They do acoustic duo stuff as well as playing behind an electrified band.
All excellent work both on guitar and harp as well as singing and
songwriting.

Finally, a new find for me was when James Thurgood recently steered us at
The McCready Brothers:

http://www.geocities.com/mccreadybrothers/main.html,

who are from an unlikely spot for a blues duet--Nova Scotia.  Their playing
will surprize and enthrall you, too.

Those oughta keep ya busy for a while!

Michelle