Re: R.e practise

Hey Sean,

I can really relate.  When I started learning, I wanted to play Juke.  I
worked it for a while, and then started taking lessons weekly.  At my
lessons, we continued to work on it for several months, and we got to
the point where I could play a version of it.  I wasn't playing tongue
slaps (only blocking for octaves), and I was glossing over a couple of
spots, and guessing at a couple of other spots, so it wasn't at all like
LW in the details.  Not to mention that my tone and timing were vastly
and noticeably inferior.  At this point, we did a wider study of LW
material.  The same sort of deal...playing  WITH "Off the Wall", rather
than getting it right to the last note.

The end result of all this was I could jam with my LW cds, and keep up
with the tempo, and at least be in the right neghborhood with the
melody.  I also found that I now had a bag of riffs I could pull out in
improvising, although I lacked (and still do) much imagination and skill
in putting them together.

What next?  If your goal is to play Rollercoaster note for note the way
Little Walter did, it may be the only thing you ever work on.  You
probably need to work on some other things as well.  I still go back to
Juke with Glenn Weiser's transcription in hand, and try to improve my
playing of it from time to time, but in the meantime, I'm trying to
become more fluent with TB techniques, I'm trying to learn 3rd position,
trying to learn how to jam without falling back to the same riff all the
time.  I've also figured out solos and riffs from dozens of songs that I
thought were pretty cool.  Maybe the thing to do is to figure out what's
holding you up the most from playing Rollercoaster the way you want to,
and work on that skill through other means.  Those sharp short trills on
Rollercoaster sound pretty crappy comming out of my harp.  Still haven't
nailed them.

rg