practice

The November issue of Keyboard Magazine has some excellent articles on
practicing that are just as pertinent for harp players as piano
players.Here'a quote from Lang Lang, a classical pianist:

"Think about how to explain, in music, why the music itself is great, not
how to show that we can do something that no one else can do."

"Rather than think'I am not good', think, 'I have a problem, but I can face
a new challenge.' Then you've already improved."

And a quote from session whiz David Garfield:

"If you learn all your patterns, in all twelve keys, you really expand your
set of tools."

There's some really good tips on the mental aspect of practicing as well.
Since most of us aren't professionals, it's hard to find time to sit down
and practice. There are mental drills you can do anywhere, any time. The
trick is to prepare yourself so when you do practice, you have things to
work on. Also, with the mental preparation you can work on the feel, the
expression, the emotion, without worrying about the technique.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.mp3.com/spaceanimals