harmonica surgery

I wrote in an earlier post about laying back when accompanying a singer.
That's the easy part. The mix down is hard on the ego. No matter how
brilliant the playing, if the harp doesn't help the song, out it goes.

The band mixed down Art School Girlfriend last night. Since we we trying to
build up tension we cut all the harp out of the first verse and chorus-start
out sparse. On the second verse and chorus, we doubled the vocals. The harp
just muddied the track so we cut it out.On the third voice and chorus the
vocals were doubled and the guitar really picked up, so goodbye harp.Then
there's the break during the next verse. There's some nice feedback
distortion from the guitar where I could add a couple of nice low moans,
then the guitar kicks into this frentic solo, so again the harp is cut. The
harp goes from every verse and chorus and an instrumental during the break
to maybe six notes.Those six notes are great, they really help the song.

The harp playing wasn't the only thing changed.Since we got a female singer,
we gave the song a sex change operation- now it's Art School Boyfriend.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.mp3.com/spaceanimals