Harp Dynamics

Hey y'all,

  things seem a little quiet 'round here lately. maybe
everyone's actually practicing ;)
  anyway, i wanted to ask people's opinions on what
i'll term 'dynamics' here. by that, i don't mean
building up tension within a song or going from backup
to solo playing. my question is what do you guys do
from song to song to keep the sound from being
monotonous?
  lately, when practicing with my "band", i've been
concerned with not having the same exact sound on each
song (it doesn't help that many of our songs are in
the same key, with similar construction). some songs
i'll play diatonic, others chromatic. most i play in
2nd, one or two i'll play in 3rd. most i play
amplified, one i play acoustic into a vocal mic. but
when i play amped, my sound is mostly always the same.
i don't go from Lester Butler's dry, overdriven sound
to say, a Little Walter at the bottom of the well kind
of thing. i can't go from Butter honk to Piazza
over-drive. but i'd kind of like to. when i listen all
the different sounds out there, i feel like playing
them all.
  guitarists have all kinds of knobs and pedals to
change their sound, or they maybe switch guitars. the
keyboard player goes from player-piano to Hammond with
the flip of a switch. what about us? what do YOU do?
different mics? switch amp settings? do go from
'clean' to 'dirt' just by using your technique? do you
have any secrets you'd be willing to share?
  just tryin to extend the palette,

          --Jp