Jerry Adler's bendings

Just to post some harp-related message (aside from PBS series complains
and Clapton's eternal puzzle)...

Yesterday I purchased "The Harmonica Magic or Jerry Adler", a live concert
recorded at Abilene Civic Center, Texas, in 1992. I shall not write about
Jerry's superb playing, but I would like to learn a little about chromatic
harp: he uses some bendings (or so it seems to me) on "Perfidia" and other
tunes, so the question is:

is it usual to bend notes on a chromatic, as when playing with a diatonic?
I read somewhere that bending is not needed (or used or convenient) in
chromatic harps, and would like to know why.

Thanks, and forgive me to bring a harp question

Fernando Toral
Argentina