Re: Eric Clapton

> I think the Yardbird recorded with Sonny Boy  in the
> 60" or early 70?
> Seems to me he's been playing the blues a long time

I had the album before I knew who Sonny Boy I or II
were.  I sure knew who the Yardbirds were.  I have
some very tasty blues, recorded in a small room,
with just John Mayall and Eric Clapton On one of
Mayall's compilation albums.  Now John does play harp,
guitar and or piano as well as sing on most of his
stuff.  He is now being announced as the "Father of
British Blues" on some live recordings I have of him.

I find it interesting that in Fridays show Clapton was
quoted a lot but Jeff Beck was the guitar player of
choice to play most of the sessions at Abbey Road.
Clapton left the Yardbirds because they wanted to
record "Heart Full Of Soul", not a real bluesy number.
 In the more traditional sense Clapton has stayed
closer to the blues but Jeff Beck, who replaced
Clapton in the Yardbirds, sure can play them when he
chooses to.  Jeff Beck is one very versatile musician
who is a real master of his instrument.

I took a friend of mine (a Chicago native who plays
harp) to see BB King and Jeff Beck this summer.  I
knew from having lots of Beck's material he could play
the blues.  He played mostly Jazz and loud stuff at
that.  In fact my friend was so disappointed that
there was no blues comming from Beck's guitar that he
left halfway thru the set.  He missed gome great music
but it couldn't be called blues.  That is till BB King
came out and then there was the blues.

LennyHarp, not always playing the blues