Re: Tom Ellis's comments on PBS system

Tom Ellis wrote:
> I don't doubt the sincerity of the British players, but
> Butterfield, Bloomfield and Elvin Bishop had much more to
> do with the growing reputations of BB King, Muddy, Wolf
> and others here in the states than any English musician did.
> Period.

I don't doubt the sincerity of Tom Ellis or any of the others engaged
in this debate, but please remove my name from the subject line.  All
I did was point up the claims of the film, I'm not making any
statement as to its veracity; I'll leave that to the blues scholars.

In case there's any doubt as to what THE FILMAKER was saying, this is
from the PBS website:

"The post-war traditional jazz and folk revival movements produced
the fertile ground for a new kind of blues music ? entirely
influenced by the authentic black blues of the USA, and, for the most
part, entirely ignored by the good citizens of the US. It was new in
the sense that certain key musicians took the blues and molded it in
an entirely personal way to fit the new awareness of the UK in the
sixties. Importantly, for the most part they continued to pay homage
to the originators of the music and to make a huge global audience
aware of the likes of Robert Johnson, Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf,
Freddie King, etc."

That's it from me, I'm out of this thread, please leave my name off
the subject lines, I'm not a soldier in this war.  I know who
influenced me, and I don't care to debate that with others.

- -tim