RE: Micing an Echo (was- off on an Irish tangent)

> Steve Shaw observes:
> <SNIP>  I use diatonic harps most of
> the time for my Irish stuff but I do use a 10-hole G chromonica
quite a bit.
>   It's a bit shorter than those 12 and 14 hole monsters (typical
diatonic
> man speak) so I can get something of a half-decent cup.

But you're missing the 6 most important holes!   ;-)

>  But - here comes
> the tangent - I also use those huge double-sided Hohner Echo harps -
24
> holes long each side, almost an inch broader than a 270 and over an
inch
> longer.

I sometimes play one just like that - mine's a C/G.

> I use my green bullet with these as with my other harps

Erm....why?   (wink-wink)

>  but
> basically I just abjectly hold the thing as best I can up against
the mic.
> Being double-sided, the side I'm playing isn't exactly close to the
mic so I
> end up turning the volume up a bit and sounding a bit on the dry
side.
> doubt whether even King Kong could get a decent cup on that.  If
anyone has
> any wrinkles I'd be glad to hear. I KNOW you can get single-sided
Echos -
> but I like to be able to flip 'em over to get a key change
mid-medley!
> Sorry about muscling in on a chromatic thread, but at least I waited
for a
> few days!

Steve, I play mine in a "sound environment" that's probably similar to
yours:
Bluegrass (mando, guitar, bass, banjo, fiddle, dobro). I just play
into the (shared)
vocal mic. Would that work for you, or are you the only feller with an
amp - no PA?

How about a ring mic? -Or maybe one of those (actually, 2 of those)
bottlecaps stuck to the covers???
- -Scorcher