Re: Chromatic Blues Technique

Scorcher,
Here's some things that have helped me with playing the 4 octave chromatic.
I tend to focus on single note playing over guitar or piano chords.....one
day i'll get into chords.

1. My mind-set and approach to the chrom is very different from the
diatonics. Although the chrom is marked in the key of 'C', it is in reality
in all 12 keys. So, my approach is similar to a sax or trumpet player.....12
keys and one instrument.

2. A good book is 'Blues in all keys' (vol.42), by Jamey Aebersold. Its
focus is on Jazz Blues. Its got good info on blues forms, blues scales,
chord tones, beats, approach to practicing etc etc. The book is sectioned
for concert, Bb, Eb and bass instruments. The book i have has a vinyl
record. Sorry, no harp tab...just written music.

3. Play well practiced riffs or melodies in other keys. Use the circle of
5ths to move to the next key.

4. Stay calm and allow some years.

Recently i played a gig with a very fine sax player (Fred). Some of the
material i didn't know, so i asked Fred if he'd mind calling the key for me
(like a lot of harp players). He's response floored me. He said, "I'm sorry,
I don't think in keys anymore, I've gone past keys". It was true! This guy
had learnt and applied all the theory until he didn't need it anymore. His
solos were mind blowing...pushing the boundaries of a 'scale'....quirky
notes that command your attention. He never asked what key we were in, not
once. He just played his instrument.
I thought about Fred's playing.....it inspired me to learn and made me
appreciate the qualities of my own playing....Its not what you've got, its
what you do with what you've got.

Hope this helps.
Pete Knapton