volume and embrochure

I've been practicing playing quietly as recommended by Paul Butterfield in
his practice CD. Sure there are nuances to playing quiet and it's an
important skill, but there's another, equally cool sound from blowing really
hard ala Cotton.You give up a lot of the subtleties but you get a wall of
sound. So I'm practing both now. It's easier to be out of tune when you blow
hard.Also, if your tone is thin, blowing hard sounds awful. You have to
listen carefully when blowing hard.

Also I'm finding different embrochures lend themselves to different styles
of playing.I play a lot of hard blues rock. When I'm comping behind the
guitar player, I like to tongue block. You get the octaves, the slaps, the
horn section sound. If it's a real wall of sound solo, tongue blocking and
real hard blowing gets the Marshall at 11 sound, but playing quieter with a
lip block embrochure gets a nice clear crisp sound that cuts through the
wall of guitars.Tongue blocking really helped my lip blocking-now I bend in
the back of the throat.

So by varying the volume, I can get a radical change in tone from clear and
articulate to a massive wall of sound. By varying the embrochure, I get a
lot of technique options.Still, after 30 years, I'm still not satisfied with
my playing.That's what makes this so much fun.

Rainbow Jimmy
http://www.spaceanimals.com
http://www.mp3.com/spaceanimals