Lessons

In a message dated 11/15/03 11:15:49 AM Eastern Standard Time, s_c_o_r_
c_h_e_r@xxxxxxx writes:

> I've been looking for a Teacher for years - thought I met one, but
> couldn't abide his personality.
>=20

Hi Scorcher!
I couldn't agree with you more.
Many folks on this list are teachers and will offer you many suggestions on=20
finding teachers and studying.
Here are a few of my thoughts:

I just recently signed on with a jazz guit. teacher at my old alma mater.
Here is why:
1. We scheduled a meeting on his dime to "audition "
This is very important because he needs to audition my skill levels and I=20
need to "audition" his playing and teaching skills. The fact that he was wil=
ling=20
to do this means in my mind he is a teacher that is student oriented.
2. He is a VERY GOOD listener. By that I mean he could tell by my playing=20
that I am definitely not a beginner and respected my level.
3. He was observant: focused on my right hand tech which in my case is=20
literally the weakest point and needs to be addressed first
4.=A0 He recognises we both have agendas: he has a set of requirements and=20
expectations of his students and is willing to blend this with the personal=20=
needs=20
of his students.
5. He is so good on guitar he has nothing to prove and doesn't have the need=
=20
or urge to show off .He survived as a guitarist in=A0 studios in LA=A0 for a=
bout=20
10 years before coming back to Baltimore.
So in short you want to find a teacher who is a good listener one who can=20
focus on your needs and problems in such a way you do not feel intimidated o=
r=20
inferior with your skills.
My own teaching experience on both harp and guitar has taught me to be=20
humble.=A0 I have shelped students develop=A0 some very cool riffs based on=20=
great things=20
my students have played.
I make it a point to let them know when they are making great headway and=20
breaking new ground.

In music often you need a guide who points a good way for you and then you=20
can go your own way.
I suggest to students be sure to read the fine print with learning material=20
and do not be sold on the famous "name". Sometimes these may not be the righ=
t=20
sources yet for you. They might be too advanced and might be suitable in the=
=20
future.
Be honest with yourself: if you can't bend notes find a good source for that=
=20
exact problem.
Save your money and do not buy any books that repeat what a similar book in=20
your collection already explains.

I do recommend at all times to do more listening and buy materials that=20
include Cds. That way you can listen carefully to the examples.
I personally like the ones that say on the Cd: Ex 22 page 34 or something=20
like this so I can find the cuts and have enough time to collect thoughts=
=A0 before=20
the example is played.
The fact you are motivated to study on your own says a great deal about your=
=20
character and desire to improve and move ahead.
As you learn, your skills improve and you will find a teacher that suits you=
.
You have already developed the skill to weed out the unsatisfactory ones and=
=20
you will eventually use these same skills to find the right teacher for your=
=20
needs.
Keep hunting and practicing!!
Many folks on this list will be excellent sources for you.
Doug

 <A HREF=3D"http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart/scan/fi=3Dproducts/st=
=3Ddb/co=3D1/sf=3Dcategory/se=3DInstruction/op=3Drm/nu=3D0/sf=3Dsub_cat2/se=
=3DDoug%20Puls/op=3Drm/nu=3D0/ml=3D50/tf=3Dcategory/to=3Dr/tf=3Dsku/to=3Dx/v=
a=3Dlink_banner=3DInstruction%20by%20Doug%20Puls.html?id=3Dhc4LirtN">Doug's=20=
Cds</A>=20
<A HREF=3D"http://coast2coastmusic.com/cgi-bin/cart?mv_pc=3DAFL3292";>Click H=
ere for Coast to Coast Music! </A>
=20