Need plain talk on my chromatic

My Super X has a reed that is acting up.  Sometimes it is weak, about =
half strength. Occasionally, I can give it a quick breath and the =
strength returns momentarily.  I don't want to send this critter off for =
this.  I'm blind and rather techicnally challenged when it comes to =
repair, but I think my son can help me with this, if we understand the =
problem in simple terms.  It seems to need some simple cleaning or =
tweaking.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.  Bullfrog